PhotobucketHomeHomeHomeHomeHome
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

My Pesto & Meatballs ... a recipe for a dozen different things

Pesto really is the easiest thing in the world to make!   Nothing smells more to summer to me than fresh basil.  I love also the fact that you can use it in so many different ways.


I wanted to share with you my recipe for pesto as well as my not-so-secret-anymore recipe for meatballs.  Recently I presented at the Working Mums Masterclass Christmas Styling Event on Christmas food ideas.   I made a few different cocktail food options and one that went down extremely well, was my pesto with meatballs.   I served these meatballs on a bed of the pesto in chinese spoons.   Such an easy way to present this yummy treat and easy for your guests to eat and talk.


My sons love their GREEN pasta and it is such a easy and simple dinner to make at a snap.  

I also used the pesto as a spread on bruschetta bread and topped with some fresh sliced tomatoes and goats cheese.   A different take on caprese salad and bruschetta!

The list is endless on how to use this fabulous pesto recipe.   The previous week, I filled and rolled a deboned shoulder of lamb with a smothering of this pesto and then layered roasted red capsicums and fetta cheese.  We cooked it in our BBQ with the hood closed and it was SCRUMPTIOUS with a capital S!

These beautiful little apothecary jars are from Sweet Style and this is a great homemade Christmas gift!


Perfect Pesto
1 bunch of basil leaves
1 clove of garlic
100 gms pine nuts
1/2 cup grated parmesan
150mls extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice

Blend the basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in a food processor.  Process until it has a sandy consistency.  Then slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto has a smooth consistency.  I then add my lemon juice.  Please note I am a lemon addict and my pesto tends to be lemony, which I find lends really well with the basil and oil.   I usually add the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon.   Taste and adjust as required.   Add salt and pepper as desired.


Blissfully Sweet Meatballs
½ kg veal mince
½ kg pork mince
1 large onion, grated
1 medium-large carrot, grated
3 eggs
¼ cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup parmesan, grated
Herbs to taste (I use garlic salt, Italian herbs, All Seasoning)
1 tbs salt

Preheat the oven to 200oC

Lightly whisk the eggs with the milk. Add the salt and herbs. These are to taste and can be varied to what you like. Then whisk in the breadcrumbs and the parmesan. The mixture should be very thick, almost crumbly. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs and if too dry, add a little more milk. Then add the two minces and mix thoroughly together with your hands until well combined.

When rolling my meatballs, I do not make them too large, as I find they tend to be drier.   Mine are usually just a little smaller than a ping pong ball.   Roll your meatballs well.   This can be done ahead of time and kept refrigerated or covered and kept in the freezer ready for another day.  

Preheat your oven to 180oC.   To fry, put a small amount of oil in your pan and then brown the meatballs on all sides.   I then layer then on a baking sheet pan and then cook them through in the oven for an extra 15 minutes.
Serve on a bed of the pesto and yummo!

*  This meatball recipe can be used for sausage rolls as well as hamburgers.   My sons love these meatballs in their pasta sauce.   Make your usual pasta sauce recipe and then after you have browned your meatballs, throw them in the sauce and let them simmer and stew!

**  I have used pork and veal mince for this recipe.   You can easily make these chicken or turkey meatballs by substituting the pork and veal for a mix of breast and thigh chickey or turkey mince.


I hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

helicopteros rc said...

Me and my colleague had tried first time to bake chicken balls from lean beef.. Its taste was totally different. We didn't have find cause for this poor dish..

Anonymous said...

Can this be done ahead of time and freeze to heat up day of?

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails